Boy Scouts At Long Last

Boy Scouts while shouting the "Hip Hip Hooraaay!
         At long last the Boy Scouts' Investiture pushed through. It was supposed to be held last October 25th but due to heavy rains and other activities that went into collision with the scheduled date it was called off.
Fellow Scout Leaders from the left, Ms Jane, Sir Rommel, Me and Ms April
         Parents should encourage their children to join scouts be them girl or boy. These activities hone kids' skills and personality as well. It is a very rewarding activity because in the age of computers, children have forgotten to spend time outdoors. They don't exert effort anymore to find out what a true pupa looks like or a caterpillar in the raw. I even have a pupil who doesn't know what a true calamansi tree looks like or where can we find earthworms when we need one to make it into fishing baits. They don't get to experience cooking rice inside bamboo trunks or cook eggs on paper. These things I learned during my scouting days in San Isidro Elem. School in Iriga City, my hometown.  We didn't bring portable cooking stoves or bought ready made food. We cooked food for ourselves. When I was in High School, I remembered cooking rice with my troop using firewood. We were in Tagaytay City this time. We enjoyed eating what we have cooked.  This also taught me how to be friends with other kids from other schools. I learned too how to be honest during games. How to build confidence everytime I was asked to sing. Talents were also honed because during campfires skits, dance numbers and what have yous were performed.  Children can find their own person during these camp outs because they were left alone by their parents and fend for themselves. They discover new things about themselves too. I hope my school will allow our children to go a little farther from the school so it would be really a camping close to nature. I don't like backyard camping much. It's very limiting. I enjoy spending overnights with the children too telling stories and sharing thoughts under the moonlight. I hope scouting can be given  more emphasis during October months to come. 
Me and My Fellow Scouter Ms Merly






From left Ms Jane, Sir Rommel, Me and Ms April

Comments

Popular Posts